1. But it only took 3 ½ weeks for the people to get very discouraged about their task. HOPE FOR THE DISCOURAGED: BUILD GOD S HOUSE (Haggai 2:1-9)

Size: px
Start display at page:

Download "1. But it only took 3 ½ weeks for the people to get very discouraged about their task. HOPE FOR THE DISCOURAGED: BUILD GOD S HOUSE (Haggai 2:1-9)"

Transcription

1 HOPE FOR THE DISCOURAGED: BUILD GOD S HOUSE (Haggai 2:1-9) It took Thomas Edison about 10,000 tries before he found the right filament for the incandescent light bulb. One day his wife said, You must be pretty discouraged, Tom. He replied Discouraged? Certainly not! I NOW know 10,000 ways it won t work! HE HAD PERSEVERANCE! A. Perseverance seems to be an outdated concept in our day of instant gratification. 1. But it only took 3 ½ weeks for the people to get very discouraged about their task. a. Less than a month after their enthusiastic return to the Lord s work they are running out of gas. b. Their heads hang low. The hammer strikes are few. The workers are sparse. 1. If it doesn t come easy, forget it. If it s hard to do & takes endurance, let someone else do it. 2. Once again Haggai came confidently into town, but this time with a message of hope (Hag 2:1-9). a. It s easy to get married. It s really hard to hang in there & work through problems over a lifetime. a. There is not one of us who has not been struck by the debilitating effects of discouragement. b. The same is true for diets, New Year resolution, shepherding, preaching, & daily discipleship. b. It is one of Satan s most effective tools to render us both inactive & ineffective in our work as Christians. c. It s easy for us to get discouraged when we have a difficult situation facing us. B. The word discouraged described the people in Haggai s day. {Review: First things First: Build God s House.} [Haggai s message: God understands & cares about the discouragement His people face in serving Him. So as we look at these ancient builders, we ll see three reasons we get discouraged in serving the Lord & building His house today, & how to persevere through it.] 1

2 I. THE WORK SEEMS SMALL A. That s the attitude Haggai addressed: Who of you is left who saw this house in its former glory? How does it look to you now? Does it not seem to you like nothing (2:3)? 1. Unmet Expectations: For 45 years in captivity they had been listening to Ezekiel tell them about a great deliverance & a marvelous Temple. (Ezek 40-48). 2. Pessimistic Comparisons: Having seen the foundation & the beginnings of this new Temple, the older generation can see that it will not hold a candle to the old one. B. One reason we get discouraged about our work for the Lord is that it can seem so small & insignificant by comparison. 1. We have our own Unmet Expectations: a. I thought if we preached the same gospel as the apostles did, then we would have the same results. b. I thought we could build up this church from 60 members to We have our own Pessimistic Comparisons: a. You should have seen the church in my day; we had better preachers, more enthusiasm & faster growth. b. What can we do with so few members? The church in Irving or Kleinwood has hundreds of members. c. We can bring that down on a personal level too: - I thought I would be able to save more souls. - How does she get so much done, & I so little. 3. Well, you can just hear the air coming out of the tires; when we have unmet expectations & make pessimistic comparisons the progress on God s house, the church, will slow down to a crawl. 2

3 C. Don t despise the small things; the Lord may be working in it (Hag 2:4-5; Zech 4:8-10). a. The people of Haggai s day seemed to forget that the first Temple was gone, destroyed When God begins a work, He usually starts in a very small & humble way. a. The nation of Israel began with Abram & Sarai. b. Egyptian deliverance began with Joseph s slavery. c. Salvation began w/ a baby born to a virgin in a barn. d. Jesus first disciples were common fishermen. e. The gospel went into the entire world by means of a little Jewish Rabbi known as Saul & his companions. f. The Parable of the Leaven illustrated the humble beginning of the church, the kingdom (Matt 13:33). D. Don t view success in the short term; the Lord works in the long term (Hag 2:6-9; 1 Sam 16:7). 1. If God doesn t view things in the way we do, then what makes us think that what appears to be success really is success? - The point is that God is not impressed with man s accomplishments. - The only thing that impresses God is the obedience of His people. b. God s people can meet in multimillion dollar facility, but if they despise the small things & have a wrong view of spiritual success, then their work is in vain. c. Building God s House requires that we look beyond the physical things that are seen temporal to the spiritual things that are unseen eternal (2 Cor 4:18). - The people of Haggai s day wouldn t live to see it, but that little Temple would be around to see a glory that far excelled Solomon s the establishment of the church. - True success is measured in the light of eternity, not in a lifetime the harvest comes at the end of the age, not at the end of a g. meeting. [So when the work seems small, don t get discouraged!]

4 II. THE WORK IS HARD A. Any time you take on a construction project, many things can come up to increase the difficulty of completing it that can be discouraging. 1. So also in the construction of the Temple, many things came up to increase the difficulty of finishing it it was discouraging. 2. Every time a Christian or a congregation makes an attempt to build God s house, to do the Lord s work, Satan will stir up the opposition (Eph 6:12). a. The enemy might be within your own desires: - You just can t work with so & so. - You just can t make time for it. - You have too many other interests. a. Inconvenience of setting new priorities. b. The blood, sweat & tears of the work. c. The clutter & mess in the community. d. The wearing thin of patience & initial enthusiasm. e. The opposition from authorities (Ezra 5). f. The opposition from enemies (Neh 4-6). b. Or the opposition might come from without. - Bosses, Teachers, Coaches. c. Building the Lord s house is hard work. d. We re in a battle! We can expect opposition! Polly Powell a veteran piano teacher described how most people feel about learning to play the piano. She writes, People usually have some goal or dream that inspires them to take up a musical instrument. But after the initial excitement has worn off, it s not uncommon for them to give up. Many decide that it s too difficult, or they re too busy - & though they would really love to be able to play well, they get stuck in a rut without making progress. The fact is mastering a musical instrument is difficult. To succeed, you will need to build your skills in self-control, discipline & determination. [You see, when you begin to think that what you are doing in the Lord s service is too small & requires too much work, that s when you ll get discouraged & want to quit. One more thing that will discourage us from building GH.] 4

5 III. THE WORK IS LONG 2. But then our work is not completed, it has only just begun (Eph 4:11-16). A. I wonder if Israel thought that once the Temple was completed, then all their work was finished & all their former problems would just go away? 1. Future prophets Zechariah & Malachi indicate that Israel did not follow through with the Lord s work (Mal 1:1, 2, 6-9). a. Oh they finished the Temple alright, but they weren t that careful & attentive to the service of the Temple; the Lord s service. B. I think we can see ourselves in this aspect of Israel s attempt to build God s House. 1. We, like our ancestors in the faith, can take upon ourselves the great work of restoring & maintaining NT Christianity, by teaching the doctrine of Christ & by following all the apostolic patterns for the work, worship & organization of the church. [So to prevent us from getting discouraged during the long & arduous days it will help us to keep in mind the words of Haggai.] CLOSING: REMEDY FOR DISCOURAGEMENT A. The Right Attitude: Be Strong (Hag 2:4). B. The Right Action: Work (Hag 2:4). C. The Right Reason: His Presence (Hag 2:4, 5). D. The Right Outcome: The Work You Do For The Lord Will Last (Hag 2:9; Important application: Heb 12:26-28; 1 Cor 15:58). However discouraging things might be, Take courage, be strong in the Lord, & work with all your might! That is Haggai s message of encouragement. 5

TWO YEAR CHRONOLOGICAL BIBLE READING PLAN 3 QUESTIONS TO EXPLORE EACH DAY:

TWO YEAR CHRONOLOGICAL BIBLE READING PLAN 3 QUESTIONS TO EXPLORE EACH DAY: TWO YEAR CHRONOLOGICAL BIBLE READING PLAN 3 QUESTIONS TO EXPLORE EACH DAY: 1. What is the passage saying? 2. What does it reveal about God? 3. What is it asking of me? January February OT NT OT NT Proverbs

More information

2018 Bible Reading Plan

2018 Bible Reading Plan 2018 Bible Reading Plan Why read the bible? The Bible is God s Word to us. It reveals God to us, shows us the way to be saved, brings us into a greater experience of friendship with God, and is a primary

More information

CALVARY CHAPEL SANTEE

CALVARY CHAPEL SANTEE Bible Reading Plan CALVARY CHAPEL SANTEE 2014 Ver. 1 December 2014 A GUIDE TO DAILY DEVOTIONS You have just been given one of the greatest tools for spiritual growth you will ever possess. The Word of

More information

Daily Bible Reading Schedule January Day Psalm Old Testament New Testament 1 1 Genesis 1-5 Matthew Genesis 6-10 Matthew Genesis 11-15

Daily Bible Reading Schedule January Day Psalm Old Testament New Testament 1 1 Genesis 1-5 Matthew Genesis 6-10 Matthew Genesis 11-15 Daily Bible Reading Schedule January 1 1 Genesis 1-5 Matthew 1 2 2 Genesis 6-10 Matthew 2-3 3 3 Genesis 11-15 Matthew 4-5 4 4 Genesis 16-20 Matthew 6-7 5 5 Genesis 21-25 Matthew 8-9 6 6 Genesis 26-30 Matthew

More information

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so is my word that

As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so is my word that As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty,

More information

a one-year bible reading plan

a one-year bible reading plan a one-year bible reading plan Start the New Year strong by committing to reading through the entirety of Scripture over the coming year. We ve created a reading plan that includes three passages each day

More information

READ THROUGH THE BIBLE IN A YEAR DAY DATE TEXT DAY DATE TEXT

READ THROUGH THE BIBLE IN A YEAR DAY DATE TEXT DAY DATE TEXT 1 Jan. 1 Gen. 1-3 2 Jan. 2 Gen. 4-7 3 Jan. 3 Gen. 8-11 4 Jan. 4 Job 1-5 5 Jan. 5 Job 6-9 6 Jan. 6 Job 10-13 7 Jan. 7 Job 14-16 8 Jan. 8 Job 17-20 9 Jan. 9 Job 21-23 10 Jan. 10 Job 24-28 11 Jan. 11 Job

More information

One Year Bible Reading Plan by Debra Key Brooks

One Year Bible Reading Plan by Debra Key Brooks Thank you for taking the first step in securing your spiritual future. The more you learn about the words God spoke, the more confident you will be in experiencing God s best for your life. Jesus said,

More information

NEW TESTAMENT RESOURCES

NEW TESTAMENT RESOURCES Old Testament Passages in the NT OLD TESTAMENT RESOURCES Genesis Exodus Leviticus Numbers Deuteronomy Joshua Judges Ruth 1 Samuel 2 Samuel 1 Kings 2 Kings 1 Chronicles 2 Chronicles Ezra Nehemiah Esther

More information

Life Journal Bible Reading Plan

Life Journal Bible Reading Plan Life Journal Bible Reading Plan How to SOAP each day. S - Scripture Open your Bible to your reading for the day. Take time reading and allow God to speak to you. When you are done, look for a verse that

More information

Bible Reading Calendar

Bible Reading Calendar Bible Reading Calendar JANUARY FEBRUARY 1 Gen. 1,2 Matt. 1 2 Gen. 3 5 Matt. 2 3 Gen. 6 8 Matt. 3 4 Gen. 9 11 Matt. 4 5 Gen. 12 14 Matt. 5:1 26 6 Gen. 15 17 Matt. 5:27 48 7 Gen. 18,19 Matt. 6 8 Gen. 20

More information

53. What are 4 lessons learned from Zephaniah?

53. What are 4 lessons learned from Zephaniah? Review 53. What are 4 lessons learned from Zephaniah? 1. None will escape the judgment of the Lord, Zeph. 1:2-3, 3:12-15. 2. Can not serve 2 masters, Zeph. 1:5. 3. When the Lord comes in judgment, the

More information

January 2018 Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday 1 Genesis 1-2 Matthew 1. 3 Genesis 6-8 Matthew Genesis Matthew 10

January 2018 Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday 1 Genesis 1-2 Matthew 1. 3 Genesis 6-8 Matthew Genesis Matthew 10 January Genesis - Matthew Genesis - Matthew Genesis - Matt. :- Exodus - Matthew Exodus - Matt. :- Genesis - Matthew Genesis - Matthew Genesis - Matt. :- Exodus - Matthew Exodus - Matt. :- Genesis - Matthew

More information

Christian-Marriage-Today.com

Christian-Marriage-Today.com Christian-Marriage-Today.com Couple s Bible Reading Plan Dear Brother and Sister in Christ! We are so very excited that you and your mate have chosen to join other Christian couples in reading through

More information

Please visit our services: Sunday - Bible Study 9:30am - AM Worship 10:30am - PM Worship 6:00pm Wednesday Bible Study 7:00pm

Please visit our services: Sunday - Bible Study 9:30am - AM Worship 10:30am - PM Worship 6:00pm Wednesday Bible Study 7:00pm Bible Reading Calendar from the Collegevue church of Christ Hampshire Pike, Columbia, TN 0 (just across from Columbia State Community College) Please visit our services: - Bible Study 9:0am - AM Worship

More information

How to SOAP each day.

How to SOAP each day. First Steps Bible Reading Plan How to SOAP each day. S - Scripture - Open your Bible to your reading for the day. Take time reading and allow God to speak to you. When you are done, look for a verse that

More information

Seeking God ~ Page 1 of 5

Seeking God ~ Page 1 of 5 SEEKING GOD Walter H. Beuttler [His own personal notes] I. GOD S SEARCH FOR MAN a. GOD S COMPLAINT i. In Zeph. 1:4-6 God complains about three classes of people. Point out these classes and suggest an

More information

FIRST DAYS: MAKING GOD THE PRIORITY. A. New Year celebrations (which take place on the first day of. C. Well then, are first days important to us?

FIRST DAYS: MAKING GOD THE PRIORITY. A. New Year celebrations (which take place on the first day of. C. Well then, are first days important to us? FIRST DAYS: MAKING GOD THE PRIORITY A. New Year celebrations (which take place on the first day of the New Year) tell us about core values. 3. In fact, all first days noted in Scripture speak of NEW BLESSINGS

More information

Week (Sunday) (Monday) (Tuesday) (Wednesday) (Thursday) (Friday) (Saturday)

Week (Sunday) (Monday) (Tuesday) (Wednesday) (Thursday) (Friday) (Saturday) OCTOBER 01 Genesis 1-3 02 Genesis 4-7 03 Genesis 8-11 04 Job 1-5 05 Job 6-9 06 Job 10-13 07 Job 14-16 08 Job 17-20 09 Job 21-23 10 Job 24-28 11 Job 29-31 12 Job 32-34 13 Job 35-37 14 Job 38-39 15 Job 40-42

More information

The Yearly Bible Reading Calendar

The Yearly Bible Reading Calendar The Yearly Bible Reading Calendar REAL PURPOSE OF LIFE PUBLICATIONS A Ministry of Student Work Development Foundation P.O. Box 2100 Norman, Oklahoma 73070 The Yearly Bible Reading Calendar 1978 Student

More information

2019 Bible Reading Schedule

2019 Bible Reading Schedule 2019 Bible Reading Schedule My Plan For Reading Through The Bible In One Year Ecclesia Christian Fellowship 1314 E. Date Street San Bernardino, CA 92404 909-881-5551 www.ecclesiachurch.com Dr. Joshua Beckley,

More information

Zechariah Chapter 4. Zechariah 4:1 "And the angel that talked with me came again, and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep,"

Zechariah Chapter 4. Zechariah 4:1 And the angel that talked with me came again, and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep, Zechariah Chapter 4 Verses 4:1-14: The fifth vision, the golden candlestick and the two olive trees: The work of God (the rebuilding of the temple), would be accomplished through God s leaders, Joshua

More information

THE GLORY OF ENCOUNTERING GOD - WHY WE PRAY FOR THE SALVATION OF ISRAEL TRANSMISSION CHURCH

THE GLORY OF ENCOUNTERING GOD - WHY WE PRAY FOR THE SALVATION OF ISRAEL TRANSMISSION CHURCH Session 9: Why We Pray for the Salvation of Israel I. THE SALVATION OF ISRAEL IS BURNING ON THE HEART OF JESUS A.Many in the Church believe God is finished or moved-on with the nation of Israel and now

More information

PROPHECIES ABOUT THE FIRST COMING OF JESUS #1

PROPHECIES ABOUT THE FIRST COMING OF JESUS #1 PROPHECIES ABOUT THE FIRST COMING OF JESUS #1 1 There will be enmity between the Seed of Gen. 3:15 Luke 22:53 Woman & the seed of Satan 2 The Seed of Woman will bruise Satan s head Gen. 3:15 Heb. 2:14;

More information

Challenge: To Read Through the Bible in a Year

Challenge: To Read Through the Bible in a Year Challenge: To Read Through the Bible in a Year Psalms 119:105 (NLT) Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and a light for my path. Challenge: To read through the Bible in a year! It seems impossible, but

More information

52 Week Bible Reading Plan

52 Week Bible Reading Plan OCTOBER 01 Genesis 1-3 02 Genesis 4-7 03 Genesis 8-11 04 Job 1-5 05 Job 6-9 06 Job 10-13 07 Job 14-16 08 Job 17-20 09 Job 21-23 10 Job 24-28 11 Job 29-31 12 Job 32-34 13 Job 35-37 14 Job 38-39 15 Job 40-42

More information

Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi. Already back, but not yet returned from exile

Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi. Already back, but not yet returned from exile Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi Already back, but not yet returned from exile Approaching Haggai Who was Haggai and what were his times? What are the structure and themes in Haggai? How does Haggai point

More information

Text: Haggai 2:1-9 Title: God First Overcoming Discouragement

Text: Haggai 2:1-9 Title: God First Overcoming Discouragement Text: Haggai 2:1-9 Title: God First Overcoming Discouragement ILLUSTRATION There s an old fable where the devil advertised that he was putting his tools up for sale. They were displayed for prospective

More information

IMPORTANCE OF DAILY DEVOTION

IMPORTANCE OF DAILY DEVOTION Life Building Station : How To Keep Daily Devotion : Session I : Importance of Daily Devotion (Quiet Time) 1 SESSION I IMPORTANCE OF DAILY DEVOTION Daily Devotion is a quiet time set aside to be ALONE

More information

PNEUMATOLOGY 001 The Holy Spirit of God - Systematic Theology Series Notes adapted and abbreviated from Theology I at Eternity Bible College

PNEUMATOLOGY 001 The Holy Spirit of God - Systematic Theology Series Notes adapted and abbreviated from Theology I at Eternity Bible College PNEUMATOLOGY 001 The Holy Spirit of God - Systematic Theology Series Notes adapted and abbreviated from Theology I at Eternity Bible College INTRODUCTION: A. There is much inaccurate teaching on the person

More information

2015 Bible Reading Program. SUN MON TUES WED THURS FRI SABBATH Gen 1-3 Gen 4-7 Gen 8-11

2015 Bible Reading Program. SUN MON TUES WED THURS FRI SABBATH Gen 1-3 Gen 4-7 Gen 8-11 1 2 3 Gen 1-3 Gen 4-7 Gen 8-11 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Job 1-5 Job 6-9 Job 10-13 Job 14-16 Job 17-20 Job 21-23 Job 24-28 January 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Job 29-31 Job 32-34 Job 35-37 Job 38-39 Job 40-42 Gen 12-15

More information

Week (Sunday) (Monday) (Tuesday) (Wednesday) (Thursday) (Friday) (Saturday)

Week (Sunday) (Monday) (Tuesday) (Wednesday) (Thursday) (Friday) (Saturday) OCTOBER 01 Genesis 1-3 02 Genesis 4-7 03 Genesis 8-11 04 Job 1-5 05 Job 6-9 06 Job 10-13 07 Job 14-16 08 Job 17-20 09 Job 21-23 10 Job 24-28 11 Job 29-31 12 Job 32-34 13 Job 35-37 14 Job 38-39 15 Job 40-42

More information

THE VISION, PRACTICE, AND BUILDING UP OF THE CHURCH AS THE BODY OF CHRIST. Message Seven

THE VISION, PRACTICE, AND BUILDING UP OF THE CHURCH AS THE BODY OF CHRIST. Message Seven THE VISION, PRACTICE, AND BUILDING UP OF THE CHURCH AS THE BODY OF CHRIST (Saturday First Morning Session) Message Seven The Building Up of the Church as the Body of Christ (1) The Vision of God s Building

More information

The temple rebuilding ground to a halt after two years of work on the foundation, they ceased their labor for the next 16 years, from 536 to 520BC.

The temple rebuilding ground to a halt after two years of work on the foundation, they ceased their labor for the next 16 years, from 536 to 520BC. MAJOR THEMES FROM THE MINOR PROPHETS: HAGGAI. Rev. Robert T. Woodyard First Christian Reformed Church July 15, 2012, 6:00PM Sermon Texts: Haggai 1:1-15 Introduction. To apply a baseball analogy to the

More information

3/17/17. Haggai 2. They have repented and now God is going to deal with the commitment to the work of God.

3/17/17. Haggai 2. They have repented and now God is going to deal with the commitment to the work of God. 1 2 3/17/17 Haggai 2 The people of God have heard the first prophecy delivered by the prophet Haggai about their apathetic indifference to build the house of God, while living in luxuriously houses themselves.

More information

Four Short Sermons. Haggai

Four Short Sermons. Haggai Four Short Sermons Haggai Four Short Sermons Introduction Four Short Sermons Introduction Have you ever started a project and then failed to finish it? Four Short Sermons Introduction Have you ever started

More information

AN EVANGELISTIC PRESENTATION ON THE WORD CHOICE

AN EVANGELISTIC PRESENTATION ON THE WORD CHOICE AN EVANGELISTIC PRESENTATION ON THE WORD CHOICE Here are resources for discussing CHOICE. The suggested scripture can serve as background information for the Christian witness. The conversational pieces

More information

WEEK 3: GOAL SETTING Setting Goals in Faith WHY I NEED TO SET PERSONAL GOALS

WEEK 3: GOAL SETTING Setting Goals in Faith WHY I NEED TO SET PERSONAL GOALS WEEK 3: GOAL SETTING Setting Goals in Faith WHY I NEED TO SET PERSONAL GOALS 1. God plans to bring all of history to its goal in Christ. Then Christ will be the head of everything in heaven and on earth!

More information

THE TEMPLES (Outline # 11)

THE TEMPLES (Outline # 11) Meditation: 9 Testimonies, p. 16 IN TYPE AND ANTI-TYPE THE TEMPLES (Outline # 11) INTRODUCTION: This study shows that the construction of the first and second ancient temples were in fact a prophecy of

More information

The Christian Arsenal

The Christian Arsenal PERSISTING IN FAITH 50 DAYS OF FAITH Dr. Ken Culver Part 5 of 8 We have around us many people whose lives tell us what faith means so let us run the race that is before us and never give up. Heb 12:1 (NCV)

More information

2321 Dryden Rd. El Cajon, CA

2321 Dryden Rd. El Cajon, CA So Abraham called the name of that place The Lord Will Provide. And it is said to this day, On the mount of the Lord it will be provided. Genesis 22:14 (AMP) 2321 Dryden Rd. El Cajon, CA 92020 619.534.8249

More information

BIBLE INTAKE PLAN. Daily Bible Readings. II Corinthians 5:17

BIBLE INTAKE PLAN. Daily Bible Readings. II Corinthians 5:17 2017 BIBLE INTAKE PLAN Daily Bible Readings II Corinthians 5:17 WHERE GOD is? taking US We re on a journey to discover and apply the vision God has given us. It s where Bellevue s unique gifts and resources

More information

This daily reading schedule will take you through all the Scriptures in a year while following the traditional Parashah reading schedule.

This daily reading schedule will take you through all the Scriptures in a year while following the traditional Parashah reading schedule. Parashat B'reisheet Genesis 1:1 6:8 10/08/17 Gen 1:1-2:3...Josh 1...Ps 1:1-2:12...Matt 1 10/09/17 Gen 2:4-19...Josh 2...Ps 3:1-4:8...Matt 2 10/10/17 Gen 2:20-3:21...Josh 3...Ps 5:1-6:10...Matt 3 10/11/17

More information

Foundations I. Grace Notes. a Grace Notes course. by Rev. Drue Freeman. Foundations 102

Foundations I. Grace Notes. a Grace Notes course. by Rev. Drue Freeman. Foundations 102 a Grace Notes course Foundations I by Rev. Drue Freeman Foundations 102 VMI authorizes any individual to copy and distribute these materials and use them for the purpose of teaching others about Christ

More information

Bible Reading in One Year - Old & New Testament

Bible Reading in One Year - Old & New Testament January Gen. 1,2 Matt.1 Psa.1 Gen. 3,4 Matt.2 Gen. 5,6 Matt.3 Psa.2 Gen. 7,8 Matt.4 Gen. 9,10 Matt.5 Psa.3 Gen. 11,12 Matt.6 Gen. 13,14 Matt.7 Psa.4 Gen. 15,16 Matt.8 Gen. 17,18 Matt.9 Psa.5 Gen. 19,20

More information

The Pentateuch (Part 1)

The Pentateuch (Part 1) The Pentateuch (Part 1) Tom Pennington November 13, 2016 SECTION 1 Bibliology & Old Testament Survey The Unifying Message of the Old Testament Four Views of the OT 1. The OT is sub-christian. 2. The OT

More information

EVICTING ENVY FROM YOUR HEART The Life You Were Meant To Live- Part 1

EVICTING ENVY FROM YOUR HEART The Life You Were Meant To Live- Part 1 EVICTING ENVY FROM YOUR HEART The Life You Were Meant To Live- Part 1 Long ago, even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. His unchanging

More information

OT Library ( )

OT Library ( ) OT Library (5 12 5 5 12) Books of Law (5) Genesis Exodus Leviticus Numbers Deuteronomy Books of History(12) Joshua Judges Ruth 1Samuel 2Samuel 1Kings 2Kings 1Chonicles 2Chronicles Ezra Nehemiah Esther

More information

Monday Night Bible Study 1

Monday Night Bible Study 1 1 Encountering God Through the Bible Pt. 4 Overview of the Bible II Lisa Osteen Comes July 31, 2017 15. Ezra: Ezra/Historical The Israelites rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem. Israelites are split into two

More information

The Book of Haggai Sermon 4th October 2015

The Book of Haggai Sermon 4th October 2015 1 The Book of Haggai Sermon 4th October 2015 Preamble: This morning s reading is from the book of Haggai He one of the Minor Prophets, writing the third from last book in the Old Testament. We don t know

More information

Bible 600 Unit Lesson Title Lesson Objectives

Bible 600 Unit Lesson Title Lesson Objectives Bible 600 Unit Lesson Title Lesson Objectives 1 FROM CREATION TO MOSES Creation Describe what happened on each of the seven days of Creation From the First Family to the Flood Abraham and His Descendants

More information

The Return of the Glory of God to the House of God I. God is the God of glory and the God of the house Acts 7:2; Gen. 35:7:

The Return of the Glory of God to the House of God I. God is the God of glory and the God of the house Acts 7:2; Gen. 35:7: Message Twelve The Return of the Glory of God to the House of God Scripture Reading: Ezek. 9:3; 10:19; 11:23; 43:1-7; Eph. 3:21; Rev. 21:10-11 I. GodistheGodofgloryandtheGodofthehouse Acts7:2; Gen. 35:7:

More information

EXPANDED LECTIONARY FOR 2009

EXPANDED LECTIONARY FOR 2009 EXPANDED LECTIONARY FOR 2009 Supplement to the Lectionary of the 1928 Book of Common Prayer (Updated 2009) P AGES x-xliii of the 1928 Book of Common Prayer present a series of readings for Morning and

More information

Session 8 Roles in the Millennium: Personal Prophecies in Scripture

Session 8 Roles in the Millennium: Personal Prophecies in Scripture INTERNATIONAL HOUSE OF PRAYER MIKE BICKLE STUDIES IN THE MILLENNIAL KINGDOM: HEAVEN ON EARTH Session 8 Roles in the Millennium: Personal Prophecies in Scripture I. INTRODUCTION: OUR ASSIGNMENT ON EARTH

More information

The Dead Sea Scrolls. How to read the Old Testament. The distinctiveness of the O.T. and its relationship to the Gospel story

The Dead Sea Scrolls. How to read the Old Testament. The distinctiveness of the O.T. and its relationship to the Gospel story apttoteach.org How to read the Hebrews 1:1-2 Lesson #4 His Story 12/27/2019 1 Discovered near Wadi Qumran and available since 1947 All the O.T. books are present save Esther. They are dated to about 200BC.

More information

1-Year Bible Reading Plan for Children

1-Year Bible Reading Plan for Children 1-Year Bible Reading Plan for Children Week Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday 1 Genesis 1 Genesis 2 Genesis 3 Genesis 6:9-22 Genesis 7 Genesis 8 Genesis 11:1-9 Matthew 1 Matthew

More information

Daily Readings for Lent 2015

Daily Readings for Lent 2015 Daily Readings for Lent 2015 Two Year Daily Lectionary (Book of Common Worship) [Year 2] Wednesday, Feb. 18 Morning: Ps. 5; 147:1 11 Ash Wednesday Jonah 3:1 4:11 Heb. 12:1 14 Luke 18:9 14 Thursday, Feb.

More information

FROM AMONG a depressed and humbled. The faithful of old. studied by the young. Ezekiel: the watchman of Israel. Exposition

FROM AMONG a depressed and humbled. The faithful of old. studied by the young. Ezekiel: the watchman of Israel. Exposition The faithful of old studied by the young Ezekiel: the watchman of Israel Exposition Matt Davies Ezekiel prophesied in momentous times. The godly days of King David and King Solomon had long gone. The children

More information

Return from Exile The Sun of Righteousness Malachi 3-4 Lesson 17 Trinity Bible Church Sunday School December 26, 2010

Return from Exile The Sun of Righteousness Malachi 3-4 Lesson 17 Trinity Bible Church Sunday School December 26, 2010 Return from Exile The Sun of Righteousness Malachi 3-4 Lesson 17 Trinity Bible Church Sunday School December 26, 2010 Great Expectations < The Promise: Genesis 12:1-3 Blessing A great nation Blessing for

More information

Restoring Part 4. o While simultaneously stirring the hearts of nearly 50,000 Jews to answer the call to return to Jerusalem and rebuild the temple

Restoring Part 4. o While simultaneously stirring the hearts of nearly 50,000 Jews to answer the call to return to Jerusalem and rebuild the temple Restoring Part 4 Last week we studied the first step of God s restoration for the nation of Israel o God stirs the heart of the King of Persia to release the Jews from captivity o While simultaneously

More information

2009 Wednesday Morning Bible Study

2009 Wednesday Morning Bible Study 2009 Wednesday Morning Bible Study 2009 September 16 th Humility Psalm 69:32, 138:6, Proverbs 3:34, 11:2, 12:15, 16:19, Isaiah 66:2, Luke 10:21, Galatians 6:14; Commanded: Deuteronomy 15:15, Proverbs 25:6,

More information

The Christian Arsenal

The Christian Arsenal INTRODUCTION INVEST and INVITE is not a program, it is a lifestyle to be adopted. This lifestyle is directly related to earning your crowns awarded by God. INVEST means to dedicate time in a person or

More information

2321 Dryden Rd. El Cajon, CA Bishop Stephen M. Brunson Senior Pastor & Pastor Angela M. Brunson

2321 Dryden Rd. El Cajon, CA Bishop Stephen M. Brunson Senior Pastor & Pastor Angela M. Brunson And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. Mark 12:30 (KJV) 2321 Dryden Rd. El Cajon,

More information

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Matthew : But earnestly desire the greater gifts. Corinthians

More information

P. Teaching on humility and arrogance Matthew 18:1 14, Mark 9:33 50, Luke 9: Mark 9:33 This discussion of who would be greatest in the

P. Teaching on humility and arrogance Matthew 18:1 14, Mark 9:33 50, Luke 9: Mark 9:33 This discussion of who would be greatest in the P. Teaching on humility and arrogance Matthew 18:1 14, Mark 9:33 50, Luke 9:46 50 1. Mark 9:33 This discussion of who would be greatest in the Kingdom indicated that the disciples continued to focus on

More information

3. If it s a challenging time, when was it last pleasant? If it is pleasant, when was it last difficult?

3. If it s a challenging time, when was it last pleasant? If it is pleasant, when was it last difficult? Growing Deeper The Gratitude Effect Week One: Grateful people choose to see the good James 1:2-4 Spend FIFTEEN Day One 1. How would you characterize your season of life just now? Is it a hard winter, a

More information

This daily reading schedule will take you through all the Scriptures in a year while following the traditional Parashah reading schedule.

This daily reading schedule will take you through all the Scriptures in a year while following the traditional Parashah reading schedule. Parashat B reisheet Genesis 1:1 6:8 10/04/15 Gen 1:1-2:3... Josh 1...Ps 1...Matt 1 10/05/15 Gen 2:4-19... Josh 2...Ps 2...Matt 2 10/06/15 Gen 2:20-3:21... Josh 3...Ps 3...Matt 3 10/07/15 Gen 3:22-4:18...

More information

THE CHRISTIAN S HOPE (Col 1:1-6) 4. He lifted his eyes from the desperate conditions, & rather than despair he found a reason to hope.

THE CHRISTIAN S HOPE (Col 1:1-6) 4. He lifted his eyes from the desperate conditions, & rather than despair he found a reason to hope. THE CHRISTIAN S HOPE (Col 1:1-6) A. In O.T. times God punished His unfaithful people by means of foreign armies. 1. He once enlisted Babylon to capture, plunder & destroy Judah & Jerusalem. B. God s prophet

More information

HAGGAI. Study Guide by Pastor Keith Hamblen. Calvary Bible Church 3180 West Elm Street Lima, Ohio 45805

HAGGAI. Study Guide by Pastor Keith Hamblen. Calvary Bible Church 3180 West Elm Street Lima, Ohio 45805 HAGGAI Study Guide by Pastor Keith Hamblen 2010 Calvary Bible Church 3180 West Elm Street Lima, Ohio 45805 Consider your ways (1:7)! Haggai 1 Open thou mine eyes, that I may [regard with pleasure] wondrous

More information

PREPARING FOR VICTORY WEEKEND

PREPARING FOR VICTORY WEEKEND PREPARING FOR VICTORY WEEKEND PREPARING FOR VICTORY WEEKEND Establish in the Faith PREPARING FOR VICTORY WEEKEND 2004-2017 by Steve Murrell All rights reserved. Published by Every Nation Churches & Ministries

More information

LESSON PLAN FOR THE FAITH FOR FINANCES SERIES SERIES NO God s Promise of Prosperity for the Believer

LESSON PLAN FOR THE FAITH FOR FINANCES SERIES SERIES NO God s Promise of Prosperity for the Believer LESSON PLAN FOR THE FAITH FOR FINANCES SERIES SERIES NO. 414 LESSON NO. TITLE 1 Tithing and Giving 2 God s Promise of Prosperity for the Believer 3 Scriptures on Finances It is possible that some of these

More information

Why You Need a Church Family God s Vision for the Rest of Your Life Message 4

Why You Need a Church Family God s Vision for the Rest of Your Life Message 4 Why You Need a Church Family God s Vision for the Rest of Your Life Message 4 FIVE BENEFITS OF A CHURCH FAMILY 1. A CHURCH HELPS ME MY LIFE AROUND GOD. You were planned for God s pleasure. Christ s love

More information

Addicted to Food (and/or Exercise)

Addicted to Food (and/or Exercise) I. Introduction. A. Food and body idolatry are big issues in our culture. B. Food creates many counseling issues. C. The Bible has a lot to say about food. 1. God has given us a variety of good food to

More information

INTRODUCTION TO THE BIBLE

INTRODUCTION TO THE BIBLE INTRODUCTION TO THE BIBLE The Bible is a message system made up of 66 books (39-OT; 27-NT) scribed by 40 different human writers. Some of these writers were rich, some poor. Some were well educated; others

More information

Daily Office Lectionary

Daily Office Lectionary Daily Office Lectionary Use of Psalms in the Daily Office The recitation of the Psalms is central to daily worship throughout the whole of Christian Tradition. Anglicanism at the time of the Reformation

More information

Stewardship Giving To The Work of The Lord I Chronicles 29:1-21

Stewardship Giving To The Work of The Lord I Chronicles 29:1-21 Stewardship Giving To The Work of The Lord I Chronicles 29:1-21 Introduction Because David had been a man of war and had shed blood, he was not permitted to build a temple for God (I Chronicles 28:3; 2

More information

ACNA Sunday and Red-Letter Day Lectionary Year B ~

ACNA Sunday and Red-Letter Day Lectionary Year B ~ ACNA Sunday and -Letter Day Lectionary Year B ~ 2017 2018 General Instructions The public reading of Scripture in the liturgies of the Church is among the most important features of any act of worship.

More information

YEAR 2 OLD TESTAMENT. Unit 1 The Story Begins

YEAR 2 OLD TESTAMENT. Unit 1 The Story Begins YEAR 2 OLD TESTAMENT Unit 1 The Story Begins Unit Focus: God s story through the ages begins with an expression of His power as He created all that is. Creation turned away and in this story we see the

More information

Focus verse: Most of all let love guide your life. Colossians 3:14 (TLB)

Focus verse: Most of all let love guide your life. Colossians 3:14 (TLB) 12 Therefore, as God s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other [acceptance] and forgive one another

More information

The Journal of Family Ministry Style Guide

The Journal of Family Ministry Style Guide The Journal of Family Ministry Style Guide Purpose of the Journal of Family Ministry The Journal of Family Ministry is a semi-annual publication of the School of Church Ministry at The Southern Baptist

More information

Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui Lectionary for Sundays & Feast Day (Year C)

Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui Lectionary for Sundays & Feast Day (Year C) Gospel Readings 29/11/2015 Advent 1 25:1-10 Jer 33:14-16 1 Thess 3:9-13 Luke 21:25-36 30/11/2015 St Andrew Psalm 19:1-6 Isa 52: 7-10 Rom 10:12-18 Matt 4:18-22 06/12/2015 Advent 2 Benedictus (Luke 1:68-79)

More information

It s that time of year again. The New Year is about to begin. You know what that means, right?

It s that time of year again. The New Year is about to begin. You know what that means, right? BIBLE READING PLANS It s that time of year again. The New Year is about to begin. You know what that means, right? No, it s not time to make more New Year s Resolutions. Too often those become an expression

More information

The Good Hand of God Ezra + Nehemiah - NCBC, April 3, 2016

The Good Hand of God Ezra + Nehemiah - NCBC, April 3, 2016 The Good Hand of God Ezra + Nehemiah - NCBC, April 3, 2016 Main Point: God sovereignly works to restore His unfaithful people. God restores His temple (Ezra 1-6) God restores His people (Ezra 7-10) God

More information

Kindergarten The God of Creation. First Grade The God of Impossibilities. Second Grade The God of Freedom. Third Grade The God of Choices

Kindergarten The God of Creation. First Grade The God of Impossibilities. Second Grade The God of Freedom. Third Grade The God of Choices course outline K Kindergarten The God of Creation 1 3 2 First Grade The God of Impossibilities Second Grade The God of Freedom Third Grade The God of Choices 4 Fourth Grade The God of History 5 6 Fifth

More information

Matt 25:3 when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?" Page 1 of 5

Matt 25:3 when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world? Page 1 of 5 Haggai Lesson 5 Review First Sermon (1:1-15) Second Sermon (2:1-9) Third Sermon (2:10-19) Fourth Sermon (2:20-23) Conviction Courage Cleanliness Consummation (Completion) When our priorities are wrong,

More information

Support Gifts. A Biblical Study of Spiritual Gifts #3 (Eph. 4:11-12)

Support Gifts. A Biblical Study of Spiritual Gifts #3 (Eph. 4:11-12) Support Gifts A Biblical Study of Spiritual Gifts #3 (Eph. 4:11-12) Support Gifts Service Gifts Sign Gifts Apostles Faith Miracles Prophets Teaching Healings Evangelists Serving (ministry) Tongues Pastors

More information

Worksheets. These reproducible worksheets are from the Bible Surveyor Handbook. Download the PDF at:

Worksheets. These reproducible worksheets are from the Bible Surveyor Handbook. Download the PDF at: Worksheets Lesson 1: The Beginning How did God demonstrate his love for his people and his judgment of sin? s Genesis 1 3 Genesis 6 8 Lesson 2: The Fathers of Faith Job 1 2, 42 How are the Fathers of Faith

More information

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Dr. George Sweeting once estimated that more than a fourth of the Bible is predictive prophecy Both the Old and New Testaments are full of promises about the

More information

CYRUS - GOD'S ANOINTED SHEPHERD By: B.L. Cocherell

CYRUS - GOD'S ANOINTED SHEPHERD By: B.L. Cocherell CYRUS - GOD'S ANOINTED SHEPHERD By: B.L. Cocherell Nearly 150 years before Cyrus was born, the prophet Isaiah foretold his birth, his name, and the tasks that the Creator God had predetermined for him

More information

GOD S KINGDOM on EARTH

GOD S KINGDOM on EARTH 1500 BC EXODUS The Way Out LICE BLOOD FROGS FLIES MURRAIN DELIVERANCE BY GOD MOSES AARON BOILS Ch. 1-15 Ch. 19 HAIL DARKNESS DEATH LOCUSTS GOD S KINGDOM on EARTH (The Nation of Israel is formed) Ch. 20-31

More information

MALACHI. Contents: Background Author Date Purpose Unique Features Comparison with Other Bible Books Outline Timeline

MALACHI. Contents: Background Author Date Purpose Unique Features Comparison with Other Bible Books Outline Timeline MALACHI Contents: Background Author Date Purpose Unique Features Comparison with Other Bible Books Outline Timeline BACKGROUND With encouragement from the prophets Haggai and Zechariah, the first group

More information

Building a House for Building a God s Name God s Part 1: Part Cons ide Cons ide yo ur ay W s ay

Building a House for Building a God s Name God s Part 1: Part Cons ide Cons ide yo ur ay W s ay Building a House for God s Name Part 1: Consider your Ways Reading: Ezra 1 Ezra (536-513 BC) Chapters 1-6 Decree of Cyrus1:1 Leaders 1:5 People 49,897; 2:64-65 Prophecies of Haggai & Zechariah Arrive

More information

Reproducible Disciple Making Guide It s all about Experiencing Jesus!

Reproducible Disciple Making Guide It s all about Experiencing Jesus! 1 Reproducible Disciple Making Guide It s all about Experiencing Jesus! The goal of this guide is to: 1. Equip disciple makers to experience joy in their role of discipling others. Following this approach

More information

Genesis Ch What did you learn that was new for you in this study? What did we learn about evil?

Genesis Ch What did you learn that was new for you in this study? What did we learn about evil? Right Now Media: The Bible Old Testament Genesis Ch. 1-11 What did you learn that was new for you in this study? What did we learn about evil? Genesis Ch. 12-50 What persons/events interested you the most?

More information

D-Group Leader Guide. Making Disciples Who Make Disciples. addmultiply.org

D-Group Leader Guide. Making Disciples Who Make Disciples. addmultiply.org D-Group Leader Guide Making Disciples Who Make Disciples addmultiply.org Discover Your Impact + x addmultiply.org/calculator MISSION Jesus concern was not with programs to reach the multitudes but with

More information

Believe Scope and Sequence for Adults

Believe Scope and Sequence for Adults Chapters 1-10 Scripture Selections BELIEFS What do I believe? Believe Scope and Sequence for Adults OT NT LOVE GOD 1 God Creation Jesus Baptism (Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19) (Luke 3) Key Idea: I believe the

More information

LESSONS ON JESUS CHRIST Jon Gary Williams. No.1 - Old Testament Descriptions Of Jesus

LESSONS ON JESUS CHRIST Jon Gary Williams. No.1 - Old Testament Descriptions Of Jesus LESSONS ON JESUS CHRIST Jon Gary Williams No.1 - Old Testament Descriptions Of Jesus The Bible contains an enormous amount of information about Jesus, after all he is the central theme of the Bible. From

More information

Read the Bible in a Year

Read the Bible in a Year Read the Bible in a Year All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work,

More information

Welcome!...2. Introduction: What On Earth Am I Here For?...4. Purpose #1: You Were Planned for God s Pleasure...6

Welcome!...2. Introduction: What On Earth Am I Here For?...4. Purpose #1: You Were Planned for God s Pleasure...6 Seminar Purpose Driven Life Seminar Student Outline Table Of Contents Welcome!...2 Introduction: What On Earth Am I Here For?...4 Purpose #1: You Were Planned for God s Pleasure...6 Purpose #2: You Were

More information

His hometown of Anathoth is identified in the O.T. as a priestly city (John. 21:13, 18) located in the land of Benjamin.

His hometown of Anathoth is identified in the O.T. as a priestly city (John. 21:13, 18) located in the land of Benjamin. Explore the Bible Lesson Preview June 5, 2011 "Accept Your Commission" Background: Jeremiah 1:1-19 Lesson: Jeremiah 1:4-14, 17-19 Motivation: Every Believer receives a calling and commission from God.

More information